Friday, May 2, 2008

Code Blue

Ok, the night before I left for my vacation, I had to work. Well, it was turning out to be a night from you know where. My first 2 patients were 2 men who attempted suicide. I hate that. Then as soon as I get them settled in their beds, this lady came running toward us saying her husband wouldn't wake up and he was gasping for air. So we run down to his room and turn the light on and holy crap, the guys whole head was totally purple. I have never seen anything like it and don't really care to see it again. I have been waiting for this day to happen not because I was excited about it or anything, but they have trained us to be prepared and to know what to do in this kind of situation. We have run many mock codes but I had no idea what I should do. I'm sure glad the patients nurse knew what to do, even though it was her first code. She was awesome. I'll know what to do next time. I just had to have a practice run with a real patient! It turns out the guys was on a pain med pump, where he gets to push a little button every time he wants pain meds. The policy is, only the patient is to push to button. Well, his wife, who was trying to be helpful, thought she would push the button for her husband. Well, she about killed the man. He was only 33! I know she felt stupid and horrible.

2 comments:

tammy said...

Oh my gosh how scary! You'll have to tell me what you did to make him be ok. Wow and 2 suicide patients. That would be really hard. Are they totally depressed that they didn't die, or did their attempt scare them into living? Remember my cousin Tabitha? She tried to o/d before when she was really depressed and hooked on pain pills from her back surgery. Did I ever tell you that whole story? Can't remember. I'll save it for an email when you're home.

Have a fun trip! I'm jealous!

Anonymous said...

Holy cow, Cami! Glad it all turned out. Have fun on your trip!! I'm jealous!